Sundays are days for my favorite food: burgers. On a Sunday a long time ago, I decided to make Jamie’s burgers with my own homemade whole-wheat buns and my very own homemade ketchup. To top it all off, I decided to make a chocolate-walnut cake with raspberry sauce. So today, I’m not only going to share my thoughts on Jamie’s 15 minute british burgers, but I’m also going to share my very successful recipes for homemade burger buns and a chocolate-walnut cake that can be made in a blender in 10 minutes.
There’s nothing too revolutionary about Jamie’s burgers. Toppings include a yogurt-worcherester sauce sauce, which I loved, ketchup, cucumber pickles (both of which were homemade) and tomato. Just because I prefer cheeseburgers, I added some cheese slices on top of patties. I used this recipe for homemade ketchup and added a tiny bit of honey to cut down the acidity. Without any added sugar, this ketchup recipe is a keeper. For the pickles, I used this recipe that I’ve used before in Jamie’s beef stroganoff.
This was the first time I tried to make burger buns on my own and I think I’ll never go back. They’re way better than store-bought. As fas as the buns go, here’s the recipe I followed.
Whole-wheat burger buns
Servings: 4 buns. Preparation: 10 min. Cooking time: 12-15 min. Total time: 2,5 hours
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp dry yeast
- Place everything in the bowl of a standing mixer equipped with a dough hook and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if needed, you should have an elastic dough, more on the firm side.
- Shape the dough in a ball, flour a bowl, cover and let it rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Divide the dough into four pieces and bake for 12-15 minutes.
All in all, I loved these burgers and I loved making the buns, the picked cucumbers and the ketchup myself. It took way more than 15 minutes, but it was very much worth it. Will I make it again? Sure, yes, why not?
ps. Sunday lunch couldn’t be complete without dessert. Here’s what I made for the day…
Chocolate-walnut cake with raspberry sauce
Servings: 8. Preparation: 10 min. Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 min. Total time: 1 hour and 25 min.
Recipe (very loosely) adapted from here
Ingredients for the cake:
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbs honey (or more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 4 eggs
Ingredients for the raspberry sauce:
- 250 gr fresh raspberries (you can also use frozen ones)
- 1,25 dl sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Instructions for the raspberry sauce:
- Wash the berries thoroughly and add them in a small sauce pan.
- Add lemon juice and sugar and let it cook for 5-6 minutes, or until you have the consistency you want. For this recipe, we want it to be thinner than jam.
Instructions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Blend all the ingredients for the cake together in bowl until very well mixed together and pour in a 23×31 cm pan lined with non-stick parchment paper. Swirl the raspberry sauce on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let it cool before serving.
Perfect, isn’t it?